[Fontinst] ugly Polish diacritics

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Wed Feb 26 01:22:20 CET 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:24:40 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:

>>>This is BTW the default LaTeX definition of \k.
>>[...]
>Indeed, your reference seems to suggest that it should be something like this.

I just had to discover that it does _not_ generally work
:-(

Even non-monospaced fonts (such as LucidaBright) do not
necessarily exhibit a tight-fitting bounding box around the
ogonek, so the idea of a right-aligned ogonek would fail.
Many apologies for having suggested this without sufficient
testing.

> [re DayRoman]
> Could this be a case of an "ogonekfitted", i.e.,
>the width of the ogonek is adjusted to the width of some letter (cf.
>ringfitted), and is quite unlike the width of its bounding box?

Ah, this idea never came to my mind!  Indeed, the ogonek sits
close to the right edge of its box, which has about 60% of the
width of the letter "A".   However, without any composites
information in the AFM, all I could do was to determine the
best position by optical judgement.

--
Walter