[Fontinst] ugly asterisk in typewriter fonts

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Mon Feb 24 16:15:34 CET 2003

Hi!

The CM Typewriter font has an asterisk character (*), which
is more or less centered at the vertical symmetry axis.  This
does, however, not hold for most other monospaced typefaces.

I've tried Courier, Bitstream Letter Gothic, LuxiMono, Lucida
Typewriter Serif and Lucida Typewriter Sans:  With all these
typfaces, the asterisk is much too high to be attractive for
typical applications, such as rendering of program code.
Note that \textasteriskcentered is _not_ centered, either;
obviously, the related fontinst code fails badly.

I have provided a "quick and dirty" bug fix in the attached
mtx file.  The asterisk gets shifted downwards, by half of
the difference between its natural height and the x-height.
This looks good at first sight, but should be improved still:
First, the algorithm fails, if the height of the asterisk needs
no fix at all; second, it does -- of course -- not really center
the asterisk vertically.  Any ideas?

best wishes
Walter