Update

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote@philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:02:57 +0200

Hi All

A few months ago I asked on this list how to get oldstyle numbers with
Fonts that originate from the Linotype Foundry. It was apparent from a
few responses that a number of others had the same
problem---particularly with Palatino.

Well I discovered the solution---more or less by accident.

The answer is that if you've installed the small caps the old style
figures are already there. And you can call them by typing some numbers
inside the usual command \textsc{}. Thus you have a perfect solution:
lining figures and non-lining figures available within the same
fontfamily and the ability to choose with a simple command.

I've checked this out with Sabon, Granjon and OldStyle 7---and it works
for all three. (I don't have Palatino.)

What is more these numbers install just using the \latinfamily interface
for Fontinst.

At any rate I hope this helps any other poor benighted bugger who---like
this poor bugger--spent days trying to finesse this annoying little
problem.

Cheers

Adrian Heathcote