CM fonts

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:42:41 +0200

At 02.07 +0200 2002-04-28, Nirmal Govind wrote:
>The tex-fonts list (tex-fonts@math.utah.edu) would be more
>Great.. thanks for the pointer..<br><br>

I might add that most tex-fonts list subscribers don't like mail encoded as
HTML. There is an information file about the list which strongly
discourages this:

### Please do not send messages encoded in markup languages          ###
### (notably, HTML, XML, and word processor formats) to the list:    ###
### most readers prefer plain text (ASCII or ISO 8859-1 (aka         ###
### Latin-1)).  Since we are TeX users, special accents and symbols  ###
### can always be written with TeX macros using plain ASCII.         ###

I might add that since most subscribers to the fontinst list also are
subscriberes to the tex-fonts list, the same netiquette applies here, even
though it hasn't (to my knowledge) been written down anywhere.

Another reason not to use HTML is that SpamBouncer
(http://www.spambouncer.org/) filters out such mail. (It is quite right in
doing so; more than 90% of the HTML-encoded mail I get is spam!) Your reply
was already in the trashcan when I saw it ...

>>That can certainly be done (by changing the printer mode that MF works
>>with), but it may well be the case that what you see is the CM fonts as
>
>Can you elaborate on the above? How do I change the printer mode?
>(MF=Modern Fonts?)

No, MF = MetaFont, which is the program that actually makes the fonts. As
for the rest, it is better discussed on the tex-fonts list.

Lars Hellström