how to install ornaments with fontinst

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:36:01 +0200

At 17.32 +0200 2002-04-20, rfuck@mines.edu wrote:
>Hi all,
>I am running into trouble in tying to install ornaments from a font
>family. I used \installlatinfamily to install a font family but it did
>not install the corresponding ornaments.

The basic reason \latinfamily didn't use the ornaments is that these aren't
part of any standard set of latin characters. On one side, it has no good
way of knowing what characters in the base fonts are ornaments, and on the
other it has no standard encoding positions in which to put them even if it
did have this information. Hence even an ideal \latinfamily, which is
something very far from what we have today, should better leave the
ornaments alone. You will have to decide yourself what to do with them then
explicitly tell fontinst to do this for you. This involves using the
\installfont or \installrawfont commands, and it probably also means that
you will have to write some ETX files to describe the encodings that you
want to use. These files can often be as simple as

\relax
\encoding

\setslot{ornament1}
\endsetslot

\setslot{ornament2}
\endsetslot

\endencoding

but you _will_ have to write them and fill in whatever names happen to be
used for the ornaments in the fonts you are currently working with. The
manual explains what the relevant commands do, even though there are few
(or none) examples.

Lars Hellström