a newbie in trouble

Rowland McDonnell rowland.mcdonnell@physics.org
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:50:14 +0100

At 7:24 PM +0000 27/3/2002, rfuck@mines.edu wrote:
>Hi all,
> I am trying to install Adobe Caslon font from only their original AFM files.
>I've used fontinst to get the corresponding tfm and vf and fd files. Later I
>realized I did know how to construct the map file for the font to be
>understood
>by dvips or pdftex.
>I then used the finstmsc.sty to try to create a scratch for the map file, but
>TeX did not recognized many of the commands like \transformfont etc. So I
>have
>some questions:
>1) Do I need to actually have the pfb files for Adobe Caslon to actually
>see it
>displayed in DVI or Ps and pdf files?

Yes.

>2) what is wrong with finstmsc.sty?

No idea.

>3) how do I write the lines for the map file for the expert and OsF+SC fonts,
>meaning which kind of enconding do I attribute to them?8r.enc?

The actual expert founts need lines looking something like:

padr8x  AGaramondExp-Regular        <padr8x.pfb
padri8x AGaramondExp-Italic         <padri8x.pfb
pads8x  AGaramondExp-Semibold       <pads8x.pfb
padsi8x AGaramondExp-SemiboldItalic <padsi8x.pfb
padb8x  AGaramondExp-Bold           <padb8x.pfb
padbi8x AGaramondExp-BoldItalic     <padbi8x.pfb

that is, no re-encoding is needed.  I take it that you know you can find
out the PS font name (second column in the dvips/pdftex map file entry) by
looking for the FontName entry in the afm file?

>4) I am using MikTeX latest version: does it support vf files?

[snip]

Yes.

Rowland.