8x.afm, no .vpl

Axel Rose rose@sj.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:18:39 +0100

Um 10:26 Uhr +0100 01.02.2002, schrieb Christian Kuhn:
>On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:21:43 +0100, Axel Rose wrote:
>
>>$ mv myfont.afm -> rhar8x.afm
>
>What font should it be? r is old (obsolete), but if the font is
>old, too, it might fit. ha is Hadriano, r means upright medium, 8x
>says it's an expert font.

I used "rhar" without a special purpose.
I've got at hand only a single (URW) produced inhouse font:
Hauss.pfb, Hauss.afm (our corporate identidy font, called "Hausschrift")

To avoid confusion with Adobe produced fonts I first named
it "rhar8a.afm". I then went through the fontinst procedures
but was only partially successful. German umlauts and the EURO
could not be output.

As a next step I thought well the font doesn't use a PS standard
encoding vector but a custom encoding vector and expert font could
be the right direction.

So I ended with "rhar8x.afm" and couldn't proceed further.

Sorry for not reading the naming conventions.
What would be the proper name for user defined fonts?

To verify that the system environment is ok I converted
the Futura family with no problems at all.

If I understand it right you must have a font8a.afm *plus*
and font8x.afm file, correct?

> >My basis is a font which uses PostScript custom encoding.
>
>What encoding is this? I don't know it.

Within the .afm file I see
  FullName Hausschrift
  FontName Hausschrift
  FamilyName Hausschrift
  EncodingScheme FontSpecific

Within the PS code there is an encoding vector defined as:
  /Encoding 256 array 0 1 255 { ...
  /dup 219 /Euro put
  ... def

whereas many fonts just say with PS code:
  /Encoding StandardEncoding def

Lars:
Thanks for you remarks. I'll check whether I grasp the
\installfont interface. There are indeed a lot of glyphs
warnings.

Thanks for the prompt help!
Axel

P.S.: Thanks for the tutorial. A very good idea.
What I'm missing though is a step by step guide for fonts
including /euro and the PS custom encoding.