glyph names for accents

Vladimir Volovich
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:23:30 +0200


thanks a lot for your answer!

"LH" == Lars Hellström writes:

 >> i'd like to know whether this is the right approach? i ask because
 >> all existing *.enc files seem to use non-combining glyph names:
 >> /grave /acute /circumflex /tilde /dieresis /hungarumlaut /ring
 >> /caron /breve /macron /dotaccent /cedilla /ogonek
 LH> The identification of characters comes first, and there slot 0 is
 LH> clearly U+0300. The glyph names come last, and the usual name for
 LH> the grave accent is 'grave'.

so -- an i right that most correct would be to name first 13 glyphs of
T1 encoding in type1 fonts using the "non-combining" names?
(e.g. glyph used on position 0 in T1 should be named grave but not
gravecomb in type1 fonts?)

 >> 2) you define compound word mark character as U200C; is this
 >> definitely the correct assignment? (maybe it is U200D or U200B?)

 LH> U+200B is a space character, even though of width zero. As I
 LH> understand it, it is equivalent to \hskip\z@skip.

maybe it is \hskip 0pt plus <something>, because this character is
defined as expandable (with the normal width being zero).

 LH> The primary funktion of both U+200C and compwordmark is to
 LH> prevent ligatures from being formed. In the extent that U+200D
 LH> does anything in latin text, it _requests_ that a ligature is
 LH> formed. All this is described in Section 13.2 of the Unicode
 LH> standard.

 LH> I'm not sure U+200C is definitely the same thing as compwordmark,
 LH> but it is the closest equivalent I've been able to find.