wrong ligatures in ae and ze tt fonts

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:50:18 +0200

Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hellstr=F6m?= writes:
 > I'm not so sure it is questionable (anymore; I too thought it was when I
 > wrote the monowidth/typewriter comments in the v1.9 fontinst sources). The
 > main problem is that `--' _is_ allowed input for generating an endash in
 > the T1 encoding, and hence all fonts with that encoding should work like
 > that. It is not very useful for typewriter fonts (LaTeX's \verb and
 > verbatim do a bunch of special declarations to escape these ligatures), but
 > it is nontheless a standard in the encoding.

and indeed, that shows the mess Knuth got us into, by mixing so many
concepts in a single place. the LaTeX hacks to escape the ligatures in
verbatim are too horrid to use in general, and Knuth does not let us
change font ligatures at the macro level. When I typeset XML with TeX,
I definitely dont ever ever want these ligatures to happen, but I
cannot do anything about it, short of making the characters
permanently active.  Yuck.

ah well.

Sebastian