[Q] Extending existing Type-1 installations with fontinst

Anshuman Pandey apandey@u.washington.edu
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:01:31 +0200

Hello,

I recently posted a query regarding the generation of an "fj" ligature for
a Type-1 font to comp.text.tex. I followed-up by posting a second, more
detail, query but was unable to elicit any response. Perhaps this list is
more disposed to such inquiries. If not, I shall bite my tongue and make
my way tail between legs.

The responses I received to my initial question suggested two distinct
approaches. The first was to create a hack of an "fj" glyph from the
original typeface using a font editor and then use virtual font magic to
derive a solution. The second was to use fontinst to fake an "fj" glyph.
I'm going to try the second.

I have an approach (completely theoretical):

1. Modify a copy of OT1.etx to include glyph info for the "fj" ligature:

   a. \setslot{\lcig{FJ}{fj}}\endslot

   b. add \ligature{LIG}{\lc{J}{j}}{\lclig{FJ}{fj}} to
      \setslot{\lc{F}{f}}

2. Modify a copy of latin.mtx to include metric info for "fj"

     \setglyph{fj}
       \glyph{f}{1000}
       \movert{\kerning{f}{dotlessj}}
       \glyph{dotlessj}{1000}
     \endsetglyph

3. Revise the glyph definition of "dotlessj" to define an actual
   glyph. Since "dotlessj" is not part of the standard Adobe encoding, the
   latin.mtx file produces a warning for most Type-1 fonts.

   This may not even be possible. Actually, I don't see how I could
   generate a faux glyph. I'm thinking some magic with "dotlessi" and "j",
   or some digital whiteout to block out the tittle.

Before I begin could anyone please enlighten me as to the implications of
the arduous undertaking? Is it possible to add a new glyph to existing T1
metrics via virtual fonts, etc.?

Thank you.

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey