Sample fontinst.rc

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:30:51 +0200

At 18.18 +0200 2001-03-27, Yates, Michael wrote:
>I am a novice (very rote) user of fontinst.  I understand that fontinst.rc
>can be used to control the shapes made by \latinfamily, but I can't figure
>out how to use fontinst.rc to do this. Does the file require some special
>header info, does it end with a \bye?

The answer to both questions is "no".

>All of my attempts have produced
>extensive error messages way over my head and no output.
>
>This is what I've tried (just as it is here -- no header or footer):
>
>\def\latin_shapes{
>	\latin_shape{}{}{n}{}%
>	\latin_shape{c}{c}{sc}{}%
>	\latin_shape{i}{i}{it}{}%
>}

Seems like you're missing an argument to \latin_shape. The default
definition is

% \begin{macro}{\latin_shapes}
% The fifth argument of |\latin_shape| is stored in the variable
% |\encoding_switches|.
%    \begin{macrocode}
\def\latin_shapes{
   \latin_shape{} {} {} {n} {\_textcomp_true }
   \latin_shape{c}{c}{} {sc}{\_textcomp_false}
   \latin_shape{o}{o}{} {sl}{\_textcomp_true }
   \latin_shape{i}{i}{i}{it}{\_textcomp_true }
}
%    \end{macrocode}
% \end{macro}

i.e., there are five arguments, not four. Leaving the fifth argument empty
should work but could result in no TS1 encoded fonts being made (that is
what the _textcomp_ switch controls).

>It would be very useful if someone could post or steer me to a complete
>fontinst.rc file, more useful if it was commented, and perfect if it showed
>how to tell \latinfamily not to fake any font shapes (i.e. to make fonts
>only for those afm's actually present.)

I suspect that the easiest way of avoiding making fakes is to use
\installfont and friends rather than \latinfamily. I can't say that there
isn't a way of doing it via \latinfamily, though.

Lars Hellström