Tilde/asciitilde, circumflex/asciicircum

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 05:25:30 -0400

At 16.58 +0200 2000-09-07, Primoz Peterlin wrote:
[snip]
>Namely, we all know that if you simply substitute tilde accent with
>asciitilde, you are likely to be very unhappy with the result. Since I am
>not, there must be something rotten with it.

Not necessarily. Some fonts have the "ascii tilde" equal to the tilde
accent (or at least in the same vertical position) whereas other fonts have
the ascii tilde vertically centered

>The reason is I wanted
>asciitilde from the start, and would have probably been unhappy if I would
>got a tilde accent instead. Letter Gothic is a monospaced font, and I
>should have used some typewriter font encoding like OT1TT, and then I
>should have never run into this problem at all.

Perhaps. But if you use OT1 (TT variant or not) then you loose all the
Central European glyphs in the font, as those are not present in the OT1
encoding. You should most likely use T1 instead, as very few languages
except English can be fully accomodated by the OT1 encoding.

>However, I do not find anything like ot1tt.etx. Shouldn't there be one in
>the fontinst package?

There should be one, but it is missing in some fontinst versions. It is
included in v1.910+, but that version won't work with fontinst v1.8. OTOH
ot1.etx is written so that it automatically switches to typewriter
behaviour whenever the monowidth integer is set, which it usually will be
when you are installing a monowidth font. (Not that I think that is very
well explained anywhere, but it is the case.)

I cannot see that using ot1tt.etx would solve your problem, though, as it
too would use the name tilde for the tilde glyph it puts in the font.
Instead I would say the short piece of MTX code you sent yesterday is the
proper solution to your problem.

Lars Hellström