Tilde/asciitilde, circumflex/asciicircum

Primoz Peterlin peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:51:09 -0400

Thank you once again!

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Walter Schmidt wrote:

> >I have the line you mention included in my psfonts.map
> Oh...  Now I'm clueless.

Hmm. Miraculously, now it works! I believe it was a problem with mixed
configurations, old and new. Now I have mercilessly erased all the TFMs
and VFs and reinstalled the fresh ones, and the problem with ligatures has
disappeared.

Now I have another problem, although it seems a minor one. The glyphs
"tilde" and "circumflex" are reported missing. I believe the problem
arises from the double names: tilde/asciitilde and circumflex/asciicircum.

Here is what ulgr8t.vpl says:

(CHARACTER D 2 (COMMENT circumflex)
   (CHARWD R 5.0)
   (CHARHT R 5.0)
   (CHARDP R 0.0)
   (MAP
      (SETRULE R 5.0 R 5.0)
      (SPECIAL Warning: missing glyph `circumflex')
      )
   )
(CHARACTER D 3 (COMMENT tilde)
   (CHARWD R 5.0)
   (CHARHT R 5.0)
   (CHARDP R 0.0)
   (MAP
      (SETRULE R 5.0 R 5.0)
      (SPECIAL Warning: missing glyph `tilde')
      )
   )

However, we do have asciicircum there on position 94 and asciitilde on
position 126:

(CHARACTER D 94 (COMMENT asciicircum)
   (CHARWD R 6.0)
   (CHARHT R 7.19995)
   (CHARDP R -3.46997)
   (MAP
      (SETCHAR D 94) (COMMENT asciicircum)
      )
   )
(CHARACTER D 126 (COMMENT asciitilde)
   (CHARWD R 6.0)
   (CHARHT R 4.65991)
   (CHARDP R -2.69995)
   (MAP
      (SETCHAR D 126) (COMMENT asciitilde)
      )
   )

As LetterGothic is a rather crude letterspaced font, it would be
nitpicking to differ tilde from asciitilde, so I would be quite happy to
substitute one for the other. Now, where is the right place to do that?

With kind regards,
Primoz

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.  primoz.peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si