FMi on text symbol encodings(TS1)

Hilmar Schlegel hshlgaii@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:23:23 -0500

Ulrik Vieth wrote:

> Hilmar Schlegel wrote:
>
> > Back from theory to the topic: some kind of definition *what* is in TS1
> > would be helpful as a first step for an emulation. Some list with
> > "names" (descriptive, private or whatever), character names (to be used
> > in a Type1 font), and implemented shape would be in place. In the
> > present state even the context of some characters is unclear and it is
> > quite difficult to setup encodings even if the fonts have the necessary
> > stuff available.
>
> In some case you probably have to ask Joerg about the intended meaning
> of TS1 symbol.

This is the bad situation I was referring to. It might work (by simply
ignoring it) in the usual Latex approach but I think we could compensate
the bad situation a bit with at least some systematics within fontinst.

> For instance, the distinction between the various TS1
> `ascii<accent>' and `tildelow' vs. the usual `accent' and `asciicircum'
> seems rather dubious.

There are other things too, like the ties. Also one could comment your
recent remarks about some of the fakes. Only I think it is necessary to
make the target clear in the first line. I don't have the illusion to
get this straight for the TC fonts but there is a good chance for
fontinst.

> > There should be two variants for faking:
> > - a maximally similar encoding vector for fonts with standard
> >   character names
> > - a fontinst etx + mtx (more friendly ;-)
>
> This does exist already for TS1, see ts1.etx and textcomp.mtx.

I think what is there is not optimal.

> Or were you refering to TSA/TSX?

This will probably not cure the problem...

> > Of course TS1 will stay as it is - for practical purposes it is less
> > usable then than it could be, however. My view is that instead of
> > utilizing a few fonts to switch around, it would be better to have
> > more flexible encodings (e.g. T1 is completely filled but switching
> > encodings midst text is a problem). Actually encodings should be
> > font-specific to be exact...
>
> If you want to avoid any kind of questionable fakery, you could always
> resort to using raw 8r or 8y (LY1) encoded base fonts, which however

No, I mean switching fonts in Tex (not via virtual fonts) causes
problems. E.g. switching to OSF allows only kerning with the rangedash
-- if that comes from the same font.

Hilmar Schlegel