Fontinst 1.801 Doc bug report

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca@astrid.u-net.com
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:02:34 +0000

>Hi everyone,
>
>last week I installed fontinst 1.801 in order to access special symbols
>using the TS1 encoding. Since it took 1.5 hours to install the Univers
>family on my low-end 68040 Mac I had sufficient time to read the
>documentation:

My God!  Which Mac are you using?  I've not done this particular job
myself, but I'd expect it to take that length of time on *my* 25MHz 68LC040
Mac.  Surely you're not using one quite that slow too?  (4.35 minutes/fount
isn't too bad all things considered).

[snip corrections needed]

Noted.  I really must get round to doing these corrections soon.

>When installing the fonts I ran out of memory, I had to increase pool_size
>from 90000 to 120000,

Are you using Plain TeX or LaTeX?

> when using the fonts I ran out of font_mem_size, but
>that was to be expected with the new TS1 fonts I need twice as much memory.
>Maybe you should add a note to this to the doc.

Not a bad idea - thanks.

>I'm trying to subscribe to the mailing list but please send me an answer as
>well. (The subscribing instructions aren't as explicit as I need them, I'm
>only a Mac user:-)

What *are* the subscribing instructions for the fontinst mailing list?

>BTW, thanks for the mentioning of fontnames, it was a great help to name
>all the 22 variants I had to install.
>
>BTW2, thanks for all the hints about using fontinst on the Mac, I guess I
>have to thank Rowland for this.

Well, someone had to do it...  It's like this: system-dependent information
is useful, and my computer's a Mac so what else could I do?

Rowland.