fontinst with 8y.etx

Berthold K.P. Horn bkph@ai.mit.edu
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:09:05 -0400

At 06:43 PM 98/06/11 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

>>Well, does there exist something working proprely on unices, macoses &
>>windowses95-99/Nt?
>>Doesn't that whole question seem surrealistic to you, talking of some
>>_portable_ doc format???!!

>>From what I gather, reading various posts here and there about Acrobat
>Reader, different versions of the reader for different platforms develop
>apparently arbitrary bugs which then disappear in a later version.  I think
>some people have suggested that the bug level is constant, and there's no
>one solution that deals with all the bugs.

LY1 has the feature that it works around known encoding sensitive
bugs, except the ones in the Macintosh Acrobat Reader.  And no
encoding appears to be able to do that.  This is not
to say there aren't bugs in other Acrobat Readers or in Distiller...

>[snip]
>>but y&y doesn't put its ton of LY1 TFMs on CTAN, and they don't
>>conform to karl berry names?

>I suspect Y&Y would be happy to have its LY1 tfms on CTAN if you asked; as
>it is, Y&Y has made a full set of LY1 tfms available on its own web server.

>True, the names aren't `fontname' compliant (horrid phrase), but is this
>such a bad thing?

Well, the problem is what to do with the over 1000 fonts in the
Adobe Type Library alone that do not have Berry names.  Also,
may be it is time to make a new start and use something more
sensible, like PS FontName, or better the 5+3+3+... contracted
PS FontName.

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, MA		mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu