Behaviour of \latinfamily

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca@astrid.u-net.com
Tue, 26 May 1998 13:31:05 +0100

>I wrote:
>
>> As a second step, \latin_shape calls
>
>>   \csname fake_shape_\raw_shape\endcsname
>
>> where \raw_shape is empty, i.e. \fake_shape_ is called,

Can you explain what this means?

>> which does the following:
>
>> * it checks if pckm8a.afm exists, then
>
>> * if checks if pckm8r.afm exists, else
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^ pckm8r.mtx

Are you saying that when you execute a \latinfamily command, fontinst
(eventually) looks for:

pckm8a.afm then
pckm8r.afm them
pckm8r.mtx

?

And what if it finds pckm8a.afm?  pckm8r.afm?  pckm8r.mtx?

>> * it calls
>
>>   \transformfont{pckm8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{pckm8a}}}
>
>Sorry for the confusion.

I'm afraid I'm still confused.  What would cause fontinst to do this
\transformfont?

>BTW, my recently hacked version of fontinst continues to do the
>following if no 8a-encoded AFM file was found:
>
>* it checks if pckm8r.afm (sic!) exists, then

What does it do if it finds this?

>* if checks if pckm8r.mtx exists,

What does it do if it finds this?

> else
>
>* it directly calls
>
>  \installrawfont{pckm8r}{pckm8r,8r}{8r}{8r}{pck}{m}{n}{}
>
>  without a preceding \transformfont and \reencodefont since the
>  generation of .mtx files from .afm without reencding is handled
>  automatically on demand.

Do you mean that the command above tells fontinst to look for pckm8r.mtx,
and if it fails to find that, it'll look for pckm8r.afm and convert it into
an mtx file, and that this procedure is followed by fontinst at *any* time
it's looking for an mtx file?

>All this extra stuff for 8r-encoded AFM files is primarily intended
>for ttf2afm, which until recently happened to drop all the unencoded
>characters if you told it to produce 8a-encoded AFM files.

I'll take your word for it :-)

Thanks
Rowland.