Re: Problem with ~ and ^

> > OK, I have a problem.  The documents, when converted to PDF via
> > ghostscript 5.94, have blanks for ligatures like fi, fl, and copyright
> > symbols.  I have seen this before, and it usually has to do with some
> > improper encoding.  It looks fine when the PS file is viewed.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I was really starting to like LY1 too.
>
> Yes, this is a "acroread does not implement the pdf standard" problem.
> It was fixed in gs beta 5.97. At least, it now works for me.
>
> See the quoted mail from the gs beta/pdf dev
> lists for further explanation.

Many thanks to this list for the upgrade fix.  I have upgraded to 5.97,
released November 22, and it works great.  Good thing I did not come
upon this problem a month ago or there wouldn't have been a fix.  Seems
I am on the cutting edge by producing PDF files using latex and
non-standard fonts with ghostscript.  I know the older ghostscript only
did curved pdf fonts for the standard Adobe 35 fonts.

I am glad to see Alladin is on top of the problem, and that Adobe is
addressing the issues.

I have spent so much time trying to get this working, rather than
writing the book.  Looks like I can get back to book writing now.

Thanks.

  root@candle.pha.pa.us                |  (610) 853-3000