Re: Problem with ~ and ^

At 11:29 AM 11/29/1999 +0100, Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>On 29/11/99 at 10:04, tinne@goedel.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Karsten Tinnefeld) wrote:
>
> >   Ensure that no two fonts in the output file have the same FontName.
>
>I had severe problems with PDF files where two fonts had the same /UniqueID
>I know this sounds stupid and that a "unique ID" has to be _unique_, but
>I always thought this unique ID is there for commercial reasons (and my fonts
>are used only internally, so I didn't paid attention to it). Acrobat identified
>fonts with the same unique ID and the file looked really strange.

I am very surprised by this, since ATM, for example, completely ignores the
UniqueID.  PS printers use it to manage their glyph cache, and can give
very strange results when bogus UniqueIDs are used.  As far as I know,
both ATM and Acrobat manage their caches based on PS FontNames.
Which is why output from DVIPS is a problem, since it uses the original
PS FontName with modified fonts (e.g. subsetted fonts).

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn  mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu  http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/bkph