Re: fontinst 1.801 -- still worse

    > >  b) in our `free' world, dvips cannot grok TrueType fonts; thats
    > >probably a far bigger barrier to common use than the metrics
    >
    > How is this relevant?  I thought we were talking about Type 1 fonts.
    > WriteTFM is not restricted to TrueType fonts -- it works for
   yes, i was just thinking aloud that the lack of truetype support in
   free dvi drivers is a bigger problem than metrics.

Everyone is invited to use the FreeType library!  BTW, there already
exists a project called VFlib which can digest a lot of font formats
(including Type 1 and TrueType); some dvi previewers using this
library are also included.  For details see

  ftp://typehack.aial.hiroshima-u.ac.jp:21/pub/TypeHack/{VFlib,Tex-Guy}

    Werner