Re: fontinst 1.801 -- still worse

Berthold K.P. Horn writes:
 > I guess I don't know what the big deal is about fontinst.  All I do is
 > (i) install the Type 1 font using ATM (Adobe Type Manager), (ii) Select
 > "Fonts > WriteTFM..." then pick the new font, (iii) make a note of the
 > file name used for the TFM.   Then refer to the TFM using \font in
 > plain TeX, or via a simple *.fd file in LaTeX 2e.  I make the *.fd file
 > simply by taking some existing file for another font family and
 > editing it to change the names...

its fine, if all you want to do is install a single font, in your
private environment, with no tweaking. then again there are the people
who want to make complex virtual fonts combining characters from a
variety of sources.

of course, in your crippled GUI system, you have to do stages (i) to
(iii) *for every single* font.  yurgh. i prefer an automated
route. just me an old-fashioned control freak.

as the pundit say, fontinst is the most fun you have which does not
involve chocolate

sebastian