Re: fontinst 1.801 -- still worse

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:45:03 +0200 (CEST), Ulrik Vieth wrote:

>I guess this means we'll all have to be carefull about putting
>\installrawfont commands after every \transformfont into mathpple,
>mathptm and mathptmx, so as to avoid checksum problems.  Sigh!
>
>Is this really true?

I agree:  Doing so should theoretically fix the problem.

I see also an alternative way, which should ensure consistent
checksums with less effort:

The fontinst script for mathptmx starts with:

\transformfont{ptmr8r} {\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmr8a}}}
\transformfont{ptmri8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmri8a}}}
\transformfont{psyro}  {\slantfont{167}{\fromafm{psyr}}}

Instead of creating ptmr8r, ptmri8r and psyr again from the
afm's, we could take the tfm's found under fonts/tfm/...,
convert them back to .pl, and use these.  This makes sure
that the faked math fonts always refer to the same "real" fonts
as TeX does.

There is however a second problem which seems more serious
to me:

I have examined the .vpl files generated from fontinst, and
I have found that there are no checksum entries for the "real"
fonts they refer to.  (Well, that's just what Sebastian already
said.)

When I create a .vf from such a .vpl, my vptovf 1.4 does apparenty
either NOT add any checksum entries at all or adds wrong ones.
I can check this by running vftovp:

[E:\usr\wrk\fontinst\mathptmx1]vftovp zptmcm7t
This is VFtoVP, Version 1.2 [1d]

MAPFONT 0: psyr at 10pt
Check sum in VF file being replaced by TFM check sum
MAPFONT 1: ptmr8r at 10pt
Check sum in VF file being replaced by TFM check sum
MAPFONT 2: cmr10 at 10pt
Check sum in VF file being replaced by TFM check sum

When I run the resulting vpl through vptovf again, the
correct checksums are written to the vf.

Is this a problem with my vptovf 1.4 only?

Greetings

Walter

Walter Schmidt                                    Schornbaumstrasse 2
<walter.schmidt@arcormail.de>                 91052 Erlangen, Germany
pgp key (0xB3F3ACED, 1024 bit, DSS):  see <http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net>
key fingerprint:   CEE3 0783 8468 4B7F 1054  1543 83AD 20A5 B3F3 ACED