[vvv@vvv.vsu.ru: Q: typeface code for Literaturnaya]

Forwarding this for discussion, I don't really understand the 8r=faked
characters stuff.  I did tell Vladimir I thought using the r prefix was
not a good idea :).

Date: 16 May 1999 17:45:54 +0400
From: Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
To: Karl Berry <karl@cs.umb.edu>
Subject: Q: typeface code for Literaturnaya

Hello,

there is a Literaturnaya family of fonts (c) ParaType Inc. These fonts
exist in various encodings, including latin and cyrillic. Some of
these fonts are now licensed as available for free usage in
TeX-related applications, so we are creating virtual fonts for
Literaturnaya (in encodings T1, OT1, TS1, T2A) to put on CTAN.

The type1 fonts distributed for free
usage in TeX contain fonts which default encoding vector is almost T1,
with small differences.

These differences, however, lead to the desire to make font tlir8t a
virtual font which refers to the `raw' type1 font. Also, as the
original type1 font contains almost all accented glyphs, it is a bad
idea to use 8r encoding for the raw font, because in this case a lot
of glyphs will be faked instead of taken directly from type font.

So, my question is: how should we name the raw font which is "almost
T1-encoded"? Is the name rtlir8t (i.e. with a prefix `r') correct?

Thanks.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.