Re: Poor man's oldstyle figures

Felix Chang wrote:

> why doesn't fontinst scale poor man's small caps automatically
> (by dividing xheight/capheight or \height{x} by \height{A} or
> something)

I tried this when I was setting up fontinst, but (if memory serves) on a
lot of fonts, setting the small caps height = xheight resulted in small
caps which were too small.  One problem is that since we're faking the
small caps by shrinking real caps that the resulting glyphs are much
lighter in colour than the surrounding text.  Even with small caps
glyphs at 80% of full height it's noticable: a page of c&sc text is a
lighter grey than a page of u&lc text.

Alan.
--
Alan Jeffrey, CTI, DePaul University, 243 S Wabash, Chicago IL 60604
ajeffrey@cs.depaul.edu           http://klee.cs.depaul.edu/ajeffrey/