Re: News of AFII: international standard registry of glyphs and their identifiers

At 14:59 1998-12-21 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote
>> <Peter_Constable@sil.org> wrote:

>>       There is a final group that this registry might benefit: those
>>       that are involved in developing algorithms for rendering of
>>       complex scripts (those involving reordering, substitution,
>>       etc.) Whatever technologies are used for handling such

>At least to me, this sounds pretty similar to what fontinst does. As far as
>I know, fontinst has nothing whatsoever to do with unicode, but
>standardized glyph names is certainly something it has use for.

Well, there is a list of over a thousand `standard' glyph names at:

http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/devrelations/typeforum/glyphlist.txt

including Unicode numbers.  This includes both `standard' part of Unicode
and `corporate use subarea'.

Given no better alternative, I would recommend using those...

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn	Cambridge, Massachusetts