Re: Bitstream Charter in TS1 (text companion) encoding

>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:29:11 -0500, Berthold Horn wrote:
>
>>Or you could try http://www.YandY.com/LY1/charter.zip
>>As far as I recollect it has everything you need to use Charter.
>
>What a chance to promote your LY1 encoding!  ;-))
>
>Hmm, looks like I'll have to try it out
>if I really cannot find the files for TS1.

I've not looked at Charter myself, but assuming that it's a normal text
fount family, and you've got afms for it, you can create the required files
using this tex file:

\input fontinst.sty

\latinfamily{bch}

\bye

Then run vptovf and pltotf on the resulting debris.

(you need to install fontinst first, but that's just a matter of
downloading a directory from CTAN and putting the files on your tex-inputs
path).

If you use straight LY1 stuff from Y&Y, you give up the chance to use faked
small caps and faked slanted versions of Bitstream, and also give up the
chance to get access to faked accented characters of all varieties.
Typographical purists might like this.  I'll admit I've not looked at
http://www.YandY.com/LY1/charter.zip, but Berthold's idea of `all the files
you need' (when I've tried it out) seems to mean just a set of
strangely-named tfms: fd files and encoding files tend to be missing.
You'll also need to get some other LY1 encoded founts - at least the LY1
encoded version of Times is needed as an error fount.  In my experience,
setting things up for one LY1 encoded fount is far too much trouble to be
worth it.

Rowland.