Re: Printing problem (Conflicting font name?)

At 03:34 PM 10/19/98 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:

>I just wanted to mension that it seems like partial font downloading is not
>the cause of the problems I mensioned, since the dvips in OzTeX does not
>seem to do this by default (and knowing my colleagues, none of them are
>very likely to have told it to do so either).

and Textures doesn't do partial font downloading (this would be important
since in your example - as far as I remember - the Textures job went first).

>The idea about some kind of font management going on seems more likely.
>OzTeX and Textures use different PS versions of the Computer Modern fonts
>(that is,when you tell OzTeX to use PS fonts, since it uses PK fonts by
>default),

I believe they would be essentially the same, since the fonts that come with
Textures are the ones that BSR/Y&Y/AMS etc. put on CTAN.  The actual
file format is different, but by the time QuickDraw unpacks the Mac fonts
into the PS file for Textures it is in `PFA' format, the same as what DVIPS
produces from PFB files.  Maybe compare the PS produced by the two?

>so if Textures assumes that any font on the printer that has the
>same name as one of its own also is exactly that font, then I suppose the
>printer would protest if this assumption is not correct.

Well fonts do not remain in printer VM across jobs.  Only bitmaps in the
glyph cache (indexed on UniqueID, FontMatrix and glyph name).

So the whole thing still remains much of a mystery.

Regards, Berthold.