Re: How can I check for the existence of a glyph in TeX?

At 05:14 AM 98/09/17 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

This seems to now have drifted quite far off topic, but...

>I've not got the list of glyphs concerned.

It was in an earlier message in this thread.  It was also in several previous
educational exchanges we have had on this topic on news groups :-).  Look on
http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/devrelations/typeforum/chrsten.html

for
		Symbol Font Substitution (Macintosh)
                    The Macintosh character set includes a number of math,
                    Greek,and Pi characters that are not contained in most
                    fonts. ATM software and PostScript printer drivers
                    routinely re-encode text fonts (those marked for
                    re-encoding) to "borrow" those characters from the
                    Symbol font. If some of those characters are included in
                    the font, the user will see, instead, the characters
                    substituted from the Symbol font. No such substitution
                    occurs with ATM or printer drivers for Windows.

% notequal, lessequal, greaterequal, approxequal, partialdiff, integral
% summation, product, pi, infinity, Delta, Omega, radical, lozenge, apple

The folllowing `math' glyphs, on the other hand, now do exist in most text
fonts:

% degree, plusminus, mu, logicalnot, divide, fraction

Typical Type 1 text fonts contain (21) other glyphs not accessible on the Mac:

% Lslash, lslash, Scaron, scaron, Yacute, yacute, Zcaron, zcaron,
% Eth, eth, Thorn, thorn, brokenbar, minus, multiply
% onequarter, onehalf, threequarters, onesuperior, twosuperior, threesuperior

In addition, Mac TrueType fonts now contain another 11 glyphs:

% Scedilla, scedilla, Gbreve, gbreve, Cacute, cacute, Ccaron, ccaron,
% Idotaccent, franc, dmacron.

% This is where it stops since the Mac cmap is limited to addressing the first
% 256 glyf in a TrueType fonts.

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, MA		mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu