Re: How can I check for the existence of a glyph in TeX?

At 11:31 AM 98/09/10 -0500, Alan Jeffrey wrote:

>> Argh!  My TeX tells me right away about missing glyphs (on screen and in
>> the log file) and gives me the context so I can tell where the problem is!

>This works because you use a TeX implementation where there's only one
>notion of `does the glyph exist'.

>On some systems (notably MacOs) whether a glyph exists or not depends on
>which driver you use (eg PostScript drivers have access to all glyphs,
>but QuickDraw drivers don't).  So the notion of `missing glyph' has to
>be put off to the driver in some cases.

I find this unacceptable.  A font is a font.  I can't have TeX not knowing
what
is going on.  The inability of some drivers to get at the glyphs is a bug
that should be fixed, not a `feature' that should be pushed under the rug
by additional layers of hair.  JMHO.

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, MA		mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu