Re: TrueType font naming scheme

Hi:

At 11:16 PM 98/08/18 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

>>If your TeX system makes it possible to use TTF fonts in on screen display
>>then it should allow you to write out TFM files for them.  It has access to
>>the metric information from the OS.
>[snip]

>So why tell me about it?

Because you asked about metrics for TTF.

>How about telling Andrew Treverrow he's written OzTeX wrongly?

Or rather he hasn't got around to dealing with metrics yet.

>Could it be that OzTeX doesn't have access to this metric information
directly?

How could it not?

>I for one have no idea how to use Truetype founts
>with a Mac application; I suspect you're as ignorant about this as I am.

I can't judge that, not knowing the depth of your ignorance :-)

>>From what little I recall from Mac programming, I think that Mac
>applications do not usually go anywhere near metric information directly.

Of course they do.  How do you think DTP applications figure out where to
place text on screen, where to break lines, what kerning pairs to use?

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, MA		mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu