Re: checksum inconsistencies for virtual postscript fonts on CTAN

>At 04:11 PM 7/28/98 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>Berthold K.P. Horn writes:
>
>> > Yes, but non of this PS trickery works with ATM or on screen without a
>> > PS interpreter :-)
>
>>eh? I process my document using pdfTeX, and view it with Acrobat
>>(fast, furious, and free); that uses ATM, thanks very much, doesn't
>>it? where does PS come into it? pdftex reads dvips map files, and vf
>>files, to play the same games as dvips, but no PS-ing involved.
>
>Hmm, You got me there sort of, I was thinking DVI -> PS -> PDF.
>>From what you say, pdfTeX has the same skullduggery of DVIPS's
>psfonts.map (e.g. making fake slanted, fake narrowed, fake extended)?

OzTeX's QuickDraw dvi driver is happy faking slanted founts using the
mechanism for doing so built in to the OS.  I think it can also produce
fake narrow and extended founts, but I've never been perverse enough to try.

[snip]

Rowland.