Re: Accessing characters outside of OT1 or T1?

At 09:41 AM 98/02/09 -0600, Alan Shutko wrote:

>I'm using the Spectrum fonts from Adobe, using the standard fontinst
>vf setup.  I would like to access some of the characters in the 8r
>encoding of the font (true copyright and registered symbols, fraction
>symbol (solidus), and some others), but they aren't in either the T1
>or OT1 encodings, so I can't use \symbol to get them.  Whats the
>normal way to get these characters?

My recommendation would be not to use T1 or OT1 encoding.
Use LY1 instead (*).
It provides access to all 228 glyphs found in typical text fonts.
Or, if you like 8r, use that directly.

If you do use T1 for your text fonts, then you need to also use
TS1 to get at the 38 or so `extra' glyphs displaced from T1.

Regards, Berthold.

(*) http://www.YandY.com/ly1.htm