Re: Future of the `Karl Berry Font Naming Scheme'...

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:27:05 -0800 (PST), Melissa O'Neill wrote:

>But, much much more to the point, and the point Pierre seems to miss
>in each of his mailings is that for some of the fonts I'm using, the
>Karl Berry name is *not* an 8+3 name. In this case, the naming scheme
>seems like it looses its raison d'etre.

The problem is not just "real font names" vs. "8.3".  The 8.3
restriction is going to become obsolete soon, but there are other
restrictions, like the 31 chars on the Mac or certain symbols
not always being legal in file names.  And most operating systems
(except for Un*x) ar not case sensitive.  Finally you cannot use
arbitrary file names on CD-ROM, even with specifications beyond
ISO.  So there are obviously  sensible reasons for having a
_portable_ font naming scheme.

IMHO a mapping file is not a suitable solution, as long as this
is popular with Web2C implementations only.  So why not keep the
Karl-Berry-scheme, somewhat modified, explicitly _without_ the
8.3 restriction?

Greetings

Walter

Walter Schmidt <wschmi@ibm.net>
Schornbaumstrasse 2,  91052 Erlangen,  Germany
pgp key (1024 bits, keyID 69D36B8D):  see <html://www.trustcenter.de>
pgp key fingerprint: 1C E5 A5 D8 B8 F7 E2 EF  36 55 69 EC D8 26 94 A9