Re: A question about encodings and afm files

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> I've been trying to work out how TeX decides which number to put in a dvi
> file when it comes across a character to output.
>
> And I've not got all that far.  Is it the case that TeX's default behaviour
> is to output the same number to the dvi file as it met in the input file?

If you mean that (after macro expansion) a character 'x' will be shipped
out as 'x', then the answer is yes, provided the character exists in the
.tfm file. And this not the default behaviour, but the only possibility,
since TeX only sees the .tfm file of the character's font.

    Werner