Re: Request for experience, MM fonts and LaTeX... (esp. Kepler)

Hi:

   I've recently purchased Adobe's new MM font, Kepler, and am about to
   begin trying to get it to work elegantly with TeX. I know there is a
   TUGboat article on MM fonts and TeX that I can (and will) read, and
   generally I understand PostScript, fonts, TeX and the like, but, it only
   makes sense to ask all among the community of other tex-fonts people
   before embarking on this task.

   For example, recent MM fonts have may use specialized calculations for
   the NormalizeWeightVector and ConvertWeightVector, which existing tools
   may have problems with. Both of the MM blended-afm tools I have choked
   on Kepler, but I fixed that in one by making it go out and actually pass
   the font to a PostScript interpreter and get it to figure out the correct
   WeightVector.

It is annoying that there are no human readable metric files supplied
with MM fonts.  Otherwise it would be easier to do this part.  But it
isn't actually needed by all systems that can handle MM.

With Y&Y TeX System :-) e.g. you just install the font using Adobe
Type Manager (ATM), create the instances you want with ATM, then
select the encoding you want to use from the previewer menu, and
finally select `Fonts > WriteTFM...' and off you go.

One minor problem is that under Windows NT, ATM no longer uses those
cute stub PSS files that it used to.  But it is pretty easy to get
along without them.

   Similarly, I wonder if there is a name in the TeX font naming scheme for
   Kepler yet? I'd probably choose `pkp', if it's not already taken or another
   name isn't already assigned.

I just use the actual font file names :-)

Berthold.

DISCLAIMER: respondent has connections with http://www.YandY.com