Re: AFMs for Blue Sky CM/PS fonts...

Melissa O'Neill wrote:

> As things stand, however, I see a problem with the current distribution
> of these fonts. We currently have one distribution for Macintosh users
> and one for ATM users, but no complete distribution. What I mean here
> is that we're missing the AFM files for these fonts; it's true that
> there are tools that could generate AFM files both from the Mac font
> bundles and from the PFM files, and even perhaps from the original TFM
> files, yet I would have thought there would be canonical AFM files from
> the creation of the font that may very well be more complete than any
> of these.
>
> Does anyone here (Berthold, for example?) have these AFM files that they
> could make available?

We do have some around here (somewhere), but the Macintosh distribution
is all we've put up so far, and I don't know of any Mac apps that use AFM
files [except Textures ;].  (I don't understand Melissa's comments re
separate distributions for ATM and Macintosh users.  Do I really need to?)

FWIW, our AFM files were created "after the fact", not in any way as
part of the font production process; in fact they were created specifically
because the NeXT font system required them for installation.

> Currently, I feel that my best bet may be to keep
> the AFM files from the BaKoMa fonts and use those (?).

This sounds just excellent.  I know of nothing that should be different
in the AFM files for these fonts.  (Except, perhaps, some of the comments
identifying copyright, producer, version, etc.)

Barry Smith, Blue Sky Research
barry@bluesky.com