Re: PostScript and single quotes

    B> Sounds like an encoding problem. You don't provide enough
    B> information, but perhaps you forgot to ask DVIPS to reencode
    B> the fonts to 8r encoding.

So no one else has this problem?  If it's my goof, I'll do my best to
untangle it myself.

To answer your questions,

I'm using Debian Linux (web2c based), and the {afm,tfm,vf,map,enc}
files pertaining to the "standard 35" from CTAN.

Problem is with both xdvi and (dvi | dvips | gs 3.53 | HP LJ5P); also
with ghostview at the end of the second chain.  Both
times and helvetica, as well as others.  Latest Berry versions of
xdvi, dvips.

Typical map entry is:
  phvr8r Helvetica "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <phvr8a.pfb

I notice no other problems that suggest an encoding problem.

Matt