fontinst & small caps

Hello,

I don't know if it is the right place for this question.
I am trying to understand why spacing is so luch different when I
install padrc9e either from padr8[ax] or from padrc8a (adobe's expert
sets come with SC&OSF fonts: if I install directly the SC&OSF AGaramond
as a T1 font I get something very pleasant, if I install it  the
official way with T1c.etx, interletter spacing is so wide that it alters
legibility and color). Can someone explain me what I should do?

Thanks,
Thierry