Undeclared glyphs -Reply

I should stress Alan's point that 8r is not a supported encoding in terms
of the LaTeX project. Since we have the base fonts, we wanted to make
them useable, but the LaTeX2e official line is that you use T1 or OT1 (and
any future symbol encoding). The 8r.sty in PSNFSS is entirely
unsupported and unofficial, as an example for those who wish to work
in this way. hence the lack of small caps and what have you.

Bottom line: you are on your own with using 8r as an encoding

Sebastian