Re: 8r encoding + xdvi :-(

Hello,

I've experienced the same problem as Thomas, that gsftopk-1.9 has a
broken \Reencode so characters get lost when viewing the 8r rendered
fonts in xdvi.

Joachim Schnitter this morning sent me a patch for render.ps by Paul
Vojta, I hope neither of them will mind me including it below.  Whilst
this improves the situation (glyphs for emdash and quote marks appear,
for example), fonts such as bookman are still missing several
ligatures (fi, fl, etc).    I don't understand why this is.

I tested gsftopk using Type 1 sources (e.g. utopia) and the reencoding
seems okay, so the continuing problem may relate to ghostscript's .gsf
files somehow.  I weakly hoped that the new release of psfonts.beta
might fix this -- I thought perhaps the vf's for the files without
Type 1 sources had been generated using a different set of AFM's to
the ones ghostscript's .gsf files are based on, or something?  But
having just downloaded and tested it, the same problem seems apparent.

Does anyone know where things are going wrong now?

 - David.

------------
David Aspinall,                 email: David.Aspinall@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science,   URL: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/da
University of Edinburgh,          Tel: +44 131 650 5898
King's Buildings,                 Fax: +44 131 667 7209
Edinburgh.  EH9 3JZ

*** /home/seattle_b/fac/vojta/Xdvi/gsftopk/render.ps	Tue Apr 25 19:04:50 1995
--- ./render.ps	Mon May 22 18:16:42 1995
***************
*** 190,197 ****
  % Define the font, and make it current.

  /TargetFont fontname cvlit findfont def
-   TargetFont
    [ font-size 0 specinfo cvx exec 0 exch font-size 0 0 ]
  makefont setfont

  % If the font's bounding box is zero, then do not use it.
--- 190,197 ----
  % Define the font, and make it current.

  /TargetFont fontname cvlit findfont def
    [ font-size 0 specinfo cvx exec 0 exch font-size 0 0 ]
+   TargetFont exch