newbie question

actually, I'm not precisely a newbie - I've used fontinst on an off
since it was first announced.  however, the discrepancies between the
program and the written documentation have always been puzzling.

if I do (in version 1.801)

\input fontinst.sty
\installfonts
   \latinfamily{ptm}{}
\bye

the results are _nothing_.  if I precede the \latinfamily invocation
with \fromafm{ptmr8r} (etc.), the mtx files are generated and
\latinfamily does its stuff.  in fact, I've never had any success with
the do-it-all-macros.

adding (say)

ptmr8r   Times-Roman       "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"  <8r.enc

to psfonts.map, inputting ø gives ú where cmr gives ø.

am I doing something wrong?

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@ask.uio.no