[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: checksum inconsistencies for virtual postscript fonts on CTAN
- To: Sebastian Rahtz <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: checksum inconsistencies for virtual postscript fonts on CTAN
- From: "Berthold K.P. Horn" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:03:43 -0400
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-Reply-To: <4138-Tue28Jul1998131536email@example.com>
- References: <199807281129.LAA11679@mail-out-4.tiac.net><199807272338.TAA12221@mail-out-3.tiac.net><9740-Mon27Jul1998135814firstname.lastname@example.org><199807271232.MAA29572@mail-out-4.tiac.net><199807271037.MAA09988@late5.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de><email@example.com><199807281129.LAA11679@mail-out-4.tiac.net>
At 01:15 PM 7/28/98 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Berthold K.P. Horn writes
> > (1) Anyone using fake smallcaps would also steal sheep.
>an honourable tradition, sheep-stealing
>which works for Times small caps, but will be a dismal failure with
>any font family which gets its small caps from an expert set. in my
>(limited) experience, this is more common than the Times Smallcaps way
My limited experience indicates that over the years Adobe has been trending
towards full smallcaps font, even in cases where they already had
an `expert' companion, just because using a real smallcaps font is so
much more convenient.
>ptmbc8y is not in the map file, by the way, so this won't work anyway :-}
Oops, I guess I'll have to fix that. Thanks.
> > (3) The solution you describe is a `PS only' solution, Which is
> > very limiting.
>not sure what Rowland does (not sure I want to know), but everything I
>do works just the same way with pdftex and with tex/dvips.
Yes, but non of this PS trickery works with ATM or on screen without a
PS interpreter :-)
>PS I am bemused to see that lw35nfsx.zip uses the same names for dvips
>config and map files as I do. This is, I suggest, rather
>unfriendly. It prevents people running both on the same system, and
>prevents me putting it on the TeX Live CD
Thanks for pointing that out. I can change the names. I guess I was
thinking more along the lines of people extracting the text and
adding it to their psfonts.map...
Berthold K.P. Horn
MIT AI Laboratory