Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

Rebecca and Rowland writes:
 > Righto (to an extent).  What makes \installfamily record anything?  That
 > is, what commands make fontinst store a line to be placed in the fd file?
see these little creatures like
   \out_line{
       \string\DeclareFontShape{#1}{#2}{\subst_series}{#4}{
        <->\csname typ-\orig_series\endcsname\space *~#2/\orig_series/#4
       }{}

they write to the .fd file

 > >ligfull TFMs rather than VFs (at an early  step in finst history, i
 > >believe that 8r base fonts were done with afm2tfm, then Constantin
 > >Kahn came with \installrawfonts...)
 >
 > But this can't be right: fontinst doesn't create tfms at all.
Thierry was just using a short-hand. .pl files become .tfm magically
after fontinst has run

 > This doesn't tie up with my observations: I've never seen psyr specified
 > anywhere, and this doesn't seem to take into account the various fakeries
psyr is used in the mathptm scripts, for instance

 > fontinst can do, or take into account any (say) founts with small caps that
 > might be present which Sebastian tells me will be used if they exist.
if you ask for them, yes

 > To my mind, installing a fount for use with LaTeX involves creating tfm and
 > vf files, moving them to a place on the TeX and dvi driver search paths
 > respectively, creating useful fd files, and adding lines to the dvi
sure. of course fontinst per se doesnt do this. you have to do that
yourself. Thierry is talking about the "person using fontinst", rather
than fontinst itself, sometimes

sebastian