Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

Rebecca and Rowland writes:
 > I'm still (on and off) trying to produce some fontinst documentation, and
good

 > I've run up against a problem: I can't, from examining fontinst's
 > behaviour, work out exactly what it does when it comes across a
 > \latinfamily command.
you need to read the code.........

 > INFO>to make LaTeX (family,weight,shape,width) pck,m,n,: seek pckm8r
 > (pckm8a.afm)
 >
 > In the last case, it's clear that it's not found pckm8r.
no, but it knows that to make 8r, it goes via 8a

 > 2) Exactly which transformations fontinst does when it's found a particular
 > file.  For example, when it said it was looking for pckm8r, it found

it follows a set of \if ...\else ..\fi statements in the macro \fake_shape_

 > 3) And I'm also puzzled at the way it produces fd files.  Can anyone
 > provide a definitive explanation of how it decides what to put in an fd
i expect Alan could if you woke him up ....

 > file, and how to tell fontinst to add a particular fount and fount
 > substiution to an fd file.
fontinst.sty says:

\substitutenoisy{ui}{it}
\substitutesilent{bx}{b}
\substitutesilent{b}{bx}
\substitutesilent{b}{sb}
\substitutesilent{b}{db}
\substitutesilent{m}{mb}        % UV added 1998/04/30
\substitutesilent{m}{l}
\substitutesilent{sl}{it}
\substitutesilent{it}{sl}

which seems clear enough to me. if it cant satisfy the real thing, the
substitution is added

sebastian