Re: Problem with \installfont in fontinst 1.8

> Ulrik Vieth wrote:
>> Does it contain cmr10.pl and cmmi10.pl?  Probably not, I guess.
>>
>> (Alan's fontinst-1.335 came with a directory full of .pl files for
>> standard fonts, but I omitted that because they can be generated
>> whenever you need them.)

> It is however quite tedious to regenerate pl files from, say TFM. For
> example the font parameters are not given the required names...

What's the problem?

$ tftopl cmr10

(FAMILY CMR)
(FACE O 352)
(CODINGSCHEME TEX TEXT)
(DESIGNSIZE R 10.0)
(COMMENT DESIGNSIZE IS IN POINTS)
(COMMENT OTHER SIZES ARE MULTIPLES OF DESIGNSIZE)
(CHECKSUM O 11374260171)
(FONTDIMEN
   (SLANT R 0.0)
   (SPACE R 0.333334)
   (STRETCH R 0.166667)
   (SHRINK R 0.111112)
   (XHEIGHT R 0.430555)
   (QUAD R 1.000003)
   (EXTRASPACE R 0.111112)
   )

As far as I can see, the codingscheme and the fontdimen parameters
are given proper names (at least for cmr, cmmi, cmsy and cmex).

>> load an .mtx file.  If you want to do something fancy using CM fonts,
>> you have to make sure to generate the required .pl files with tftopl.

> See above.
> It would be more reliable to have the original PL at hand (also with
> matching encoding strings) for all the standard fonts.

Sure, it might be more convenient and/or more reliable, but it's
not something essential that cannot be achieved by any other means.

I still maintain the point that its the duty of indvidual fontinst
applications to generate or provide all the required .pl files.

Cheers, Ulrik.