Re: fontinst with 8y.etx

At 02:47 AM 6/13/98 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>At 8:08 pm -0400 11/6/98, Berthold K.P. Horn wrote:

>>AFAIK, Mellisa's `mods' are simply work-arounds for the limitations
>>of Mac: problems due to not being able to access 21 of the 228 glyphs
>>on the Mac (due to lack of ability to reencode fonts - somthing not
>>fixed by VF, I hasten to add, because VF only `remaps').  So something
>>has to be done to approximate lslash, ff, eth, thorn etc.

>This is not a limitation of Macs, but a limitation of some software on Macs.

Yes, namely the Macintosh operating system :-)

>>Well, I gather that some people on Unix are using LY1, as are some
>>OzTeX users...

>Some people have rings in their noses.  It doesn't make them particuarly
>sensible.

>(Note: this is a joke of sorts)

Thanks for pointing it out, I couldn't tell :-)

>>  We could use PS FontName as the TFM file name,
>>or, since those can get rather long, use the Mac 5+3+3+...
>>contracted names, which are unique also (or supposed to be anyway
>>- for otherwise the font cannot be used on the Mac).

>To be more specific: or else the fount can't be used on Macs running mfs or
>hfs.  hfs+ can handle longer filenames as far as I know, but it's hardly
>widely used.

This has little to do with the file system or the length of the PS FontName.
The reason it matters is that for historic reasons fonts are accessed
via the screen font suitcase and there is no notation in there about
the outline font file name, only the PS FontName.  The system and
ATM knows which font file to llok for by using the 5+3+3+...
contracting algorithm on the PS FontName.  Since the contracted
name is of neccessity unique --- and shorter :-) --- seems like a
good one to use...

Regards, Berthold.